1. Full name
|Juan Arellano Valdivia|
2. Global Voices sections to which you contribute
3. Publication date of your latest post or translation
|Date: – 24/1/2012|
4. Title of project
|GV – Filming our posts|
5. Project representative (person who will sign award agreement and receive funds)
|Juan Arellano Valdivia|
6. Describe the proposed project as clearly as possible in five sentences or less
|The intention is to create Global Voices own videos through agreements with small independent video producers (individuals and organizations) in Spanish speaking countries. So these producers would be in charge of creating audiovisual material per request (Us specifying the subject and other requirements for the video). The videos would be produced fortnightly (each time in a different country) as a base for GV articles. Articles that will be especially written by our authors from those countries. Thus, our content will be dynamized and will feed our YouTube channel in order to enrich its image and attract new audiences. Furthermore, to attract people interested in video production, a citizen video contest will be held during the project.|
7. What aspect or need of Global Voices does your project address?
|The project covers GV’s lack of own audiovisual material that would facilitate using the whole potential video has in informing and spreading content through platforms such as Youtube.|
8. How would the project further Global Voices’ mission?
|The process of creating and publishing own video material through the alliance of Global Voces and video producers allows to include citizens’ voices from unrepresented communities or sectors on (and off) the internet and record their opinions about a specific matter, differently from the text.|
9. What is innovative about your project?
|The innovative part lies with the combination of already existing Concepts, such as viralization power via Youtube, the collaborative associations between Global Voices and other institutions, and the ability Global Voices has to write articles based on citizen contents. This merge of elements hasn’t been previously tested on Global Voices and it is innovative as it allows to provide a renewed image to the public we already have, and to bring more individuals and collaborators to our network.|
10. Which section of Global Voices would your project most benefit (if applicable)?
|GV in English|
11. How would the wider GV community utilize and/or participate in your project?
|The idea of the project can be replicated on other sites of Global Voices, and so the whole community can be involved and also contribuye with the sustainability and its continuance in time, sharing the produced videos and proposing alliances with other smaill video producters. If this proposal is chosen, at the end of its period I will publish a Guide with its procedures and experiences as a way to help duplicate it in others GV sites, and to stablish a long term plan.|
12. List the other GV community members, if any, who will be actively working on the project. Please specify what role each person will play in the development of the project.
|Cati Restrepo – Be aware of topics that are generating discussion in Spanish speaking countries. – Coordinate with video producers the making of the videos (topic, duration, deadlines submitting the video to Global Voices). – Collaborate with broadcasting the video once it’s been published.|
13. What additional resources or expertise, if any, would you need to complete the project?
|– The networks of GV Latam-team – Alliances with institutions such as Flickr or Vimeo for a video competition that would be created during the project.|
14. Describe the prospects for sustainability/continuation once the innovation grant funding ends
|To assure the project will keep on going, during the project a video competition will be promoted, that will allow to add to our network small independent video producers (organizations and individuals as well) that are not participanting in the project’s first part, besides that we could present our videos in audiovisual competitions. Besides that, the production of new videos might be possible through alliances with Communication schools.|
15. Please specify the timeline for the project, from start to finish
|Ten months. Fortnightly publication. Every fortnight, a different country and topic. By the fifth month, a competition will be held for new independent producers.|
16. Provide a detailed budget of up to US$5,000 for project costs. (Please try and present as accurate a budget as possible: applicants are encouraged to submit budgets for less than the maximum amount as smaller grants allow us to fund more projects)
|Human resources. – Coordinator: US $100 per month (Total US $1000) – Assistant coordinator: US $500 (unique payment) – Video producer: US $150 per video (Total US$ 3000) – Competition prize: US $500|